Can I Clean The Stained Glass On My Salt Lake City Home Myself
You love your Salt Lake City Home’s stained glass–you are not alone a lot of people who own stained glass absolutely love it and want to keep it looking good for a long time. This is probably why we get a lot of questions from people in the Salt Lake City area, looking to find out how to care of their stained glass windows–new and old. Simply wiping down your stained glass windows with a dry cloth regularly goes a long way believe it or not. However, you can also wash your stained glass yourself. However, if your stained glass is in anyway damaged already you should leave it a professional, lest you end up damaging it further. For windows free of damage, here are a few pointers on how to clean your Salt Lake City home’s stained glass and get it looking as beautiful as it was meant to be!
Steps To Cleaning Your Salt Lake City Home’s Stained Glass
- Start by running a soft dry cloth across the glass. Stained glass is actually very durable but use care as older windows may have loose panels. If you come across a broken, cracked or loose pane of glass be sure to call Salt Lake City Custom Stained Glass to repair the piece and finish the cleaning.
- Once the bulk of the dust and dirt has been removed with a dry cloth, switch to soap and water. Make sure to use an ammonia-free, vinegar-free, non-abrasive, pH-neutral cleaner
- Start from the top of the window and work your way down, cleaning each pane within the leaded frames individually. Feel free to scrub but do not press on the glass too hard, lest it crack.
- After you finish each panel, go back with a cotton swab to clean the by the leaded perimeter using a circular “scoop and lift” method to get the grime by the lead.
- Dry the section you cleaned with a soft, lint-free cloth and move on to the next section
*Don’t forget to put a towel down on the ledge of your window to keep the water from ruining your wood frame.
**Also Be aware that leaded glass windows contain lead, which can be dangerous to you and especially to children when it is ingested or becomes airborne. As such we recommend wearing gloves and using proper disposal techniques for any cloth, swab, water or container used in the process.
Salt Lake City’s Stained Glass Expert
The process above is a simple one but admittedly a fairly long and delicate process that takes time. Don’t be too intimidated by your stained glass, it is actually fairly durable. However, use common sense, if you don’t feel comfortable or have all the proper equipment have Salt Lake City Stained Glass do the work. We are stained glass experts and we can come repair, replace and clean stained glass to professional standards. Contact us today for more information on stained glass cleaning and to schedule a consultation.